Sunday, September 18, 2005

a year to forget?

On October 25th, it will be one year since the day I hired a van, picked up all my stuff and moved into my own house. It has been a year of ups and downs, and many interesting things have happened.


This is the house that I and the inimitable Steve moved into.


"I love cock!"

So it was my first time that I had to share a house and, by association, a life with other people around my own age, but with no real connection to me. A student share-house.

Well, it had it's ups and downs. It being the beginning of summer, the first few weeks were filled with nothing but sitting on the deck drinking beers.



This was pretty enjoyable. And I was fairly excited about the prospect of beginning a new life - one away from parents. Making it on my own. We soon enough got others to move in and there were four of us living here. Things were fun. Beer flowed freely and we enjoyed summers playing backyard cricket and many other ways of celebrating the fact that we were free and life was good.

Within 2 weeks of moving in, Steve and I had persuaded two different girls to strip for us on consecutive nights.

We cooked on the barbeque every night. Everything was good!

Some of the highlights included:

1. The night we flame-throwered the wasps nests

Nice balaklava, Steve.

2. The housewarming party - despite moving in in October, the party was in March. That was an awesome night. I can't find any pictures for this at the moment. But it was fun.

3. Getting the table-tennis table in the garage. This changed my life, as over the winter months rarely a day went by that I didn't play table tennis.

(this picture snapped from a video...)

4. Other random parties. One was recently that just materialised out of nothing. Steve got kicked in the balls this night, and i loved it.

Miles (left) and Alex (right) at said party.

But it wasn't always good. Soon enough, things about my housemates annoyed me. I became a recluse - hardly left my room just because I didn't want to see anyone. The social lifestyle that I started with became a solitary one. The more social activities like cooking for everyone in the house or sitting around talking disappeared as I got more and more annoyed. My environment was becoming discouraging, and it is hard to change yourself without changing your environment. It was fucked.

The last few months haven't been the greatest. Tensions were raised and friendships were destroyed. I recall being warned before I moved in: "You'll end up hating your housemates." How true.

But you know, it wasn't all that bad. This sad ending isn't without a faint glimmer of hope. In truth, living out of home for a year was a great learning experience. I learnt not only to take the responsibility of managing a household and the rigours of keeping it in good condition, but also I lived with three completely random people while I did it.

It seems to tie up this life I have led here in Canberra. It started well, years ago, but has gradually worn me down. And now it finally feels like it's nearly over!

In fact, everything I am doing these days seems to indicate that now is the beginning of the end. Soon I will move out of this house and at the same time, graduate from university. Then I can work, pay off my debts and afford all the things I want... especially clothes! God! And an ipod. Oh how I have waited! And then, hopefully mid next year, a move overseas and a new life, a new environment.

I am looking forward to it so much. It feels like I have paid my dues. The hard part is over. Student life is coming to an end. Summer is coming. The new era begins. The renaissance is imminent. And I couldn't be happier!


Sakura at ANU after rain - a sure sign that summer is coming.

So, let's look to the future! The past is over. The time has come. Get some of that Summertime Healing!

No comments: