Friday, August 12, 2005

how i (sometimes) win at table tennis

Being the caretaker of a friend's table tennis table, I have spent the best part of the last few months playing TT in my garage. Last night while playing with said friend (and also my housemate), I realised that I actually play very differently from them.

They explained their strategy: because they have played against me so many times, they have been able to discover weaknesses in my game. They therefore try to hit the ball to a spot where I can't hit it in order to exploit the weakness. In other words, they are playing against my weaknesses.

This isn't how I play, though! The game I play doesn't focus on these two guys' weaknesses in particular. Instead, when I play I try to do such good shots at that moment that no matter if it's a particular strength or weakness, it will still be a hard shot to return. It is as if I'm playing the game "in realtime". In other words, I'm playing to emphasise my strengths!

They were trying to convince me that their system was better, but I was unconvinced. Sure, they might be able to beat me, but they will falter as soon as they play another experienced player because they won't know their weaknesses. With my style of play, no matter who I am playing I am still playing my game.

So, which one is better? I don't know. Between my friend and I the scores are practically even, notwithstanding the different styles! I have a feeling that my system would give me more chance if I were to play something like a tournament with lots of different people, but I can see how their style would work when you just play the same person over and over. I guess I'll just have to keep practising until I find the answer...!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the "friend" to whom you refer. The thing you dont realise is your weakness may only last 10 minutes. after that time you adjust your game and are able to return the ball in that area. But once you do that, i've often found a different place to hit the ball that you are unable to return it.
Its a never ending cycle!
I think this system will work against anyone. If i was playing a pro, i wouldnt hit it to his forehand every time, if he kept belting winners. but if he didnt belt as many winners on his backhand side, i'd be more inclined to hit it there.
However, i use your system as well, dont get me wrong. Every shot i do, i want it to be as good as possible, so that you can't return it. I guess i just focus on the direction a little more?